I'm a huge accessories girl- I love my bags, shoes, and jewelry. So, one of the first things I did was to create a bag shelf. Yes, not a book shelf but a bag shelf. What I basically did was took the drawers out of my old wooden dresser, sand and repainted it, and added velvet "seat" cushions for the bags. Here's a sweet concoction recipe! I hope you enjoy :)

.: Ingredients :.
. old wooden dresser
. modern masters metallic paint in oyster. 1 yd gray velvet fabric (make sure to see if you have a discount fabric store near where you live!)
. magna-tac fabric glue. 1 yd cotton stuffing
. 2 pkts of square plastic jewels (15x15MM) *optional* ( I got mine from M&J in New York City)
.: Direction :.
For the dresser--
1) Take out all drawers from the dresser.
2) Wipe down your dresser with a cloth.
3) Paint!
* Because I chose a very light color for my shelf, I had to do several coats of the metallic paint. I think I might have done at least 3-4 coats.
4) Let paint dry overnight.
In the meantime, you can start making the seat cushions for your bags.
1) Because I have 4 drawers, I wanted to be able to fit 2 bags in each drawer space, so I made 8 seat cushions. (2 for each drawer)
2) I split the yard of cotton stuffing into 8 square portions. Unfortunately for me, I don't know how to sew so ended up gluing my velvet fabric onto the cotton stuffing to form a seat cushion. I measured the seat cushion so that it can fit perfectly into the drawer space. (See below for pictures)
3) I also lined the back of the dresser with left over fabric I had from another project. You really don't have to do this step since your bags will be covering up any wooden space.
I also had left over plastic jewels that I decided to use for the legs of the dresser. I glued the jewels to the bottom of dresser for a more glam effect!
.: finished bag shelf :.
.: close up of velvet seat cushion :.
.: jeweled legs :.
(better detail picture of the oyster metallic paint color)

No comments:
Post a Comment